Tuesday, July 16, 2013

the stereotypical asian job

At a yogurt shop with some friends, we talk about majors, and what we want to be.


I poke around the toppings of my yogurt with my spoon as I say to them, "I'd become a filmmaker or work as a photojournalist, or a makeup artist if it was as stable as accountant."

I thought about all the stereotypical jobs that Asian kids complain about. Being a doctor, a computer engineer, an accountant. Of course you would, I could hear people say with a sneer. You'd be surprised - its not just ignorant people who do that, even Asian young adults themselves. 
Instead of pursuing these jobs and majors, I could simply go for "my true dream career", whatever that means. 

But again, and again, you come across stories like this that inspire and amaze you. We don't know what it is like for students who have it much harder to even go to school. Things we have for granted. The parents are only trying to secure us into a stable job so we can be well off in the future - is that so wrong? As middle-class people, I don't know what its like to be poor - to have a cook provide for the whole family, to live in public housing with other families. But through these stories, I have come to understand, even if it's only for a little bit. So to those people who scoff at "stereotypical Asian careers",  maybe you don't understand it yet, but after reading the article from that link (above), I think you'll get a better idea. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome~ If business inquires, please direct them to my email (in About section)