Sunday, September 9, 2012

Reading Guo Jingming's Tiny Times

I've been into Chinese novels lately... the book I will talk about today is Tiny Times 1.0 by popular contemporary Chinese writer Guo Jing Ming. I picked this up because I want to improve my Chinese in an interesting way, and China's #1 best selling novel about university students appeals to me a lot.
For those who don't know, Guo Jingming is no run-of-the-mill author. GJM is young at only 29 years old, fashionable, and a popstar in his own right - on top of this best-selling author status.   

 Hey, if you are someone who wants to hone your Chinese, this should be your go-to. The dialogue isn't as complex as, say, Da Mo Yao, but for a decidely "fluffy idol series" type of plotline...I was struggling with the eloquent (read: wordy and poetic) beginning. Which I actually learned to appreciate since I get to challenge myself a bit.

The book begins with a vivid description of modern Shanghai city and the cushy, Starbucks obsessed young people, and today's workplaces. Then all the main characters, most are whom would appear on an idol drama are swiftly mentioned. Our main girl is Lin Xiao who



is currently beginning university life with her three closest girl friends. As Global Times succintly puts it, "The story chronicles four women from university to post-graduation, touching upon friendships, love and career."

I'm currently on Chapter 2 in the book, so this is all I can tell you right now. But I have already noticed a pattern in how Guo Jing Min writes. Also, the men are all described like tall pretty boys you see in Boys Before Flowers. I would have preferred a romance story a bit more passionate (or at least emotionally-tugging) than leaning towards workplace-oriented and fluffy, but I can see that the story likely won't head into that territory anytime soon.

Here's to finishing this novel by next week! Cheers.

Where to get this book: Try to find a copy at your local library, but if it is not offered, a lot of Chinese sites online have text copies of this book for free, so I would check them out if I were you. Note of caution: some text versions may be abridged (simplified).



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome~ If business inquires, please direct them to my email (in About section)