Monday, July 8, 2013

BB Creams - Are they worth it and Do they do the job?

I want to talk about BB creams today.
BB cream is considered popular in Asia but actually the majority of the craze and popular brands are from South Korea.



Three years ago, I would've been tempted to write a history and detailed functions, but I don't think this product needs any introduction anymore. Everyone knows about it - heck, literally every Youtuber gives an obligatory speech about its inception in Germany and that its original purpose was to help patients recover their skin after surgery. The typical BB cream will promise you sun protection, evened out skin tone, brightening, anti-wrinkle, skin whitening, pimple-reducing... flawless skin, if you use it constantly. I don't know about you, but it sounds to me like the product is biting more it can chew. Plus, I'm not sure if we even need all of those properties. At the end of the day, I'm just looking for a good product to cover some acne and give me sun protection.

I knew about these "Blemish Balm" products since a dozen years ago. The list of ingredients a lot of which I didn't know, plus the sheer amount of claims to help the skin worried me. But what's funny, is that I finally started using them (the popular Korean brands) after getting a sample of a Japanese tinted moisturizer - actually it was actually from the famous Shiseido white lucent line. I think it was a tinted cream or something with uv protection. Sun protection is really important to keep your face youthful. Eventually, curiosity got to me (probably cause of the crazy product promises?!) so I began my BB cream journey.

In my collection of these products, the gold bottle Skin79 seems to be what I grab for the most, out of the three top selling BB creams I own. I'm a sucker for good reviews and cute packaging and they fit into both categories.
Here are the three I'm going to discuss:

  1. Skin79 Super+ BB cream Triple Function (Gold Label)
  2. Skin79 Super+ BB cream Triple Function (Pink Label)
  3. The super famous Missha BB cream
In a nutshell, all three bb creams are quite good, but I'm not liking the ashy undertones. When can I find a warm, peachy color? The gray cast from especially the Skin79 ones bother me, too white. But if I had to pick one to use out of the three, I'd pick gold label because it is moisturizing, light, and covers most of my blemishes and discolorations. The Missha one is just like the Skin79 one except that the formula is thicker (better coverage). Also important to note is the Missha bb cream has a strong fragrance. But now I'm looking for a better bb cream (or maybe just go for a typical Western foundation like the ones from MakeupForever or Smashbox).
There's a ton of reviews out there who say Dr. Jart's silver label bb creams are #1, and the consensus is that the majority of Skin Food bb creams are of mediocre quality. Lioele and Hanskin brands both have good reviews. 
Currently, I'm looking into BB creams with light and medium-heavy coverage because my skin tends to  look good one day but not the next day.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome~ If business inquires, please direct them to my email (in About section)